Friday, June 12, 2020

my friend Claudine


Our paths were crossed through our children.
I don't remember if it was an award night or a concert night.
It might have been Mr. Falcon night.
We got to meet each other in the high school auditorium.
After running into each other periodically at events
checking in briefly as we passed by
or waving from a distance
we got together for lunch at Panera one summer day.

Since then lunch at Panera with Claudine became my favorite routine.
Our conversations covered everything we were going through.
We were always interested in listening to each other's stories.
We celebrated and mourned together the ups and downs of ministry, parenting, and life.
It is rare to have a friend who listens so attentively 
that you can feel you are in sync with each other intellectually and emotionally. 
That's what I love about having a conversation with Claudine.
And along with her vibrant spirit
I always loved her polished grace over our meals. 

Today I learned about her father's prayer 
offered at her ordination service 30 years ago. 
I could feel how carefully and thoughtfully he chose each word 
for his daughter 
soon to be his colleague
and I was deeply moved by the sincere desires of his heart for Claudine 
as she begins her journey as a new pastor.

Among many, this part especially resonated with me. 

Deeper her sense of unity with all people
and give her an understanding and loving heart,
that she may minister to all troubled souls and open to them the doors of peace.

I am among those who received the benefit of his prayer 
as Claudine's understanding and loving heart 
ministered my troubled soul 
and opened to me the doors of peace many times. 
I wanted to let him know his prayer is answered.

Our Panera date has been replaced by a weekly Facetime on Fridays
something I look forward to every week.
And someday this may change into something else 
but I know that something else will be just as good if not better 
and I will be as blessed as I am now.






pre Easter reflection

roll away the stone whatever that stone might be pea under your bed pebble in your sock that annoys your entire being making you lose sleep ...