Thursday, June 11, 2020

like a bird




Drakes Island Beach

impromptu morning walk with a friend
vast endless earth and sky welcomed us
waves were running to meet us halfway 
we were like children in a playground
walked, talked, laughed, stopped to pick up rocks
often gazed at different directions

Then there was a moment like this
as if someone clicked the pause button
when I discovered the bird 
standing quietly and gracefully
on the vastness of sands
all alone 
just she and her shadow
minding her own business (whatever that is)

Looking at her 
made my heart still
steps slower
breathing deeper
like having someone mindful around

I imagine myself standing on the vastness of sand
gazing at somewhere between ocean and clouds
listening to the gentle waves massaging the shore
filling my lungs with salty air through my nostrils
all alone 
just me and my shadow 
quietly and gracefully

 like the bird
a teacher of mindfulness


pre Easter reflection

roll away the stone whatever that stone might be pea under your bed pebble in your sock that annoys your entire being making you lose sleep ...