Monday, June 15, 2020

like the snails



another walk at Drakes Island Beach
while walking 
I found the lines on the sand 
and a small dot at the end of the line


looking closely
I learned that the dot is a snail moving toward the ocean
probably making his way back home
and I wondered
how does he know where to go?
what gives him a sense of clarity?
If it were me with my terrible sense of direction 
I would have been totally disoriented.
I wish I can have an answer from him. 
Even if the answer may be 
"I just know" 
shrugging his antennae.  


walking further
I found this little guy following the path the other guy paved
his antennae were detecting the walls 
to stay on the same path.
 I thought he found an easy way. 
Then again I wanted to ask
how do you know who to follow? 
what gives you a sense of clarity that this will lead you where you need to go? 
by then, I kind of knew the answer.
 He just knows. 




from now on 
when I need a sense of clarity 
 I will think of the snails. 
even after being taken away from home
separated from the familiarities
dropped in uncharted territory
something in their natural instinct made them orient themselves to head home 
to be united with the ocean.
And I like to believe that 
I am also made to orient myself to head home.
Home to me is where I can find myself in the presence of God 
in union with God.
In my daily living
I am constantly heading home
like the snails.


pre Easter reflection

roll away the stone whatever that stone might be pea under your bed pebble in your sock that annoys your entire being making you lose sleep ...