Sunday, June 28, 2020

from grief to new life



About this time last year
after leaving the church I served for 8 years
and moving into the new parsonage on Saturday
I left everything to go on a retreat on Sunday. 
My mind, heart, and soul was full of stuff 
I had no room to spare for the new church and new congregation.
I needed a time to grieve.
I had such mixed emotions and didn't know where to begin. 
In that place of chaotic confusion 
one of the things I started was putting together a zigsaw puzzle.
This probably is pretty close visualization of my condition.


while I was matching the puzzle
 8 years of ministry came to my mind.
As I was looking for the unknown pieces of the puzzle
 I recognized all kinds of unresolved issues and
unknown pieces of raw emotions.
I was alone and in complete silence.
allowed myself to weep in pain.
I was in a tomb for three days.




On Wednesday morning, 
I found myself in a different place. 
I felt a bit sorted out
not as neat as a bento box
but not as messy as a slimy taco either
 I was ready to break the silence
and had enough strength to be out with someone. 
So I called Linda who gave me a tour to Wells Reserve.
It's always a delicate balance to maintain 
when I break the silence 
because I'm usually in a vulnerable place.
Linda made me feel safe and I didn't have to talk much.
She was bubbly and gave me all kinds of information about the place. 
I was truly grateful for her generous sharing of time and energy on a hot summer day.  
It's still one of my favorite places to walk. 


The walk changed the rhythm of my entire being
There was a sense of being released from grave clothes like Lazarus
The puzzle was completed on Friday afternoon
and by Saturday morning
I was ready to return to the new parsonage. 
Although I cannot say that I was a hundred percent ready
I had enough room in my heart, mind and soul
to welcome the new relationships
and gifts and challenges of the new ministry. 
It was certainly a week of transformation 
from grief to new life. 





pre Easter reflection

roll away the stone whatever that stone might be pea under your bed pebble in your sock that annoys your entire being making you lose sleep ...