Thursday, May 12, 2022

Viola Davis "Finding Me"

 


one of the ways I am getting ready for the trip to NM is to get my audiobooks downloaded

I know I will spend a long time traveling and want some good stories to be my company

one of the books I downloaded was this biography 

after reading some of the reviews  

without knowing who she is 

I began listening to her story

to tell the truth I do not like reading biography because of the cliche 

but this one, I couldn't stop listening

I spent more than 9 hours in 2 days

I remember binge-listening like this when I listened to the book "Educated" 

although I have different childhood experiences

Viola's words found home in my heart

because of her experiences as a woman and a minority

I cried many times out of compassion, anger, affirmation, 

and mostly in awe of her courage to be vulnerable

and God who was present in her life even when the relationship was absent

there are many places I will go back and listen again

because they are real, honest, and heroic

and from her finding herself 

I may also be able to find myself, which is a lifelong journey




pre Easter reflection

roll away the stone whatever that stone might be pea under your bed pebble in your sock that annoys your entire being making you lose sleep ...