Monday, May 4, 2020

self-compassion break




Kristin Neff and Chris Germer have been my teachers of mindful self-compassion practice. 
Their week-long program at Kripalu was life-giving and transforming. 
I often use their practices in various settings 
and here's the one I think is simple and captures the essence of mindful self-compassion.
As we walk through this unusual and trying time with COVID-19, 
this is one of the ways to cope with the anxious moments we may encounter during the day. 

Will Barnet "Infinite" (1975-1976, Oil on Canvas)
Farnsworth Art Museum, Rockland, ME


Self-Compassion Break

When you notice that you’re feeling stress or emotional discomfort, 
see if you can find the discomfort in your body. 
Where do you feel it the most? 
Make contact with the sensations as they arise in your body. 
Then simply recognize it mindfully by saying to yourself, slowly:

     “This is a moment of suffering” You may also say something like:
     "This hurts."
     "Ouch!"
     "This is stressful."

Then recognize what you are experiencing is part of common humanity by saying:

     “Suffering is a part of life” You may also say something like: 
     "I’m not alone. Others are just like me."
     "We all struggle in our lives"
     "This is how it feels when a person struggles in this way"

Then put your hands over your heart, or wherever it feels soothing, feeling the warmth and gentle touch of your hands. Say to yourself:

      “May I be kind to myself,” or another way of saying this is,
      “May I give myself what I need.”
      "May I accept myself as I am"
      "May I learn to accept myself as I am"
      "May I forgive myself"
      "May I be strong"
      "May I be patient"
      "May I live in love"

If you’re having difficulty finding the right words, 
imagine that a dear friend or loved one is having the same problem as you. 
What would you say to this person? 
If your friend would leave with just a few words in mind, 
what would you like those words to be? 
What message would you like to deliver, heart to heart? 
Now see if you can offer the same message to yourself.


Center for Mindful Self-Compassion https://centerformsc.org/




pre Easter reflection

roll away the stone whatever that stone might be pea under your bed pebble in your sock that annoys your entire being making you lose sleep ...